Friday, March 6, 2015

The Search

It has come to my attention that I'm going to be 29 this year.

That sucks.

What also sucks is that I'm in my late-mid 20s (I can't bring myself to say that I'm in my late 20s) & currently make less than $10 an hour in a job that I've had for 4 1/2 years, with 3 1/2 of them being in a management role. My manager has talked to me about getting me promoted, but he has said that before & they ended up hiring someone from the outside to be an assistant manager. Back in November I told him that I was interested in moving up again, to which he said he'd help me. Then he gave me a management training book.

Nothing more was said about it until January when I asked what time frame we were looking at. He said he wanted to get a few more people promoted to shift supervisor (that's my position) & then he'd get me an interview with our new district manager & they would try to get me my own store. About a month ago I asked again & he said something about me becoming an assistant manager (definitely not my own store. I'd have to stay at my current store where we already have 2 assistant managers). However, the people he was going to promote to shift supervisors all got 2nd jobs since he kept dragging his heels about training them. So now as far as I know, since communication is non-existent, is that my promotion is on hold indefinitely.

I get that sometimes things take longer than they should because of unforeseen circumstances. I get that. But I can't just wait around for God knows how much longer to make some extra money. Since I'm not in school this semester my student loans are back & I owe about $600 a month. That's more than a paycheck. I can't live like that. Plus, I'm tired of living in crappy apartments with roommates that don't clean up after themselves. Plus, I don't even know their last names or have their phone numbers.

So this week I started looking for jobs. And not just any kind of job: big boy jobs. That would require me to dress like a normal person, & have a consistent schedule.

As much as I would like to add assistant manager or store manager to my resume, I need to move on. I've been in customer service for 14 years & I feel deep down that, especially in the past few years, it has changed some of my personality in a negative way. It's time.

1 comment:

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Hope you land that big boy job soon, big boy. I mean, big homey!