Sunday, June 5, 2011

Artistic Temperament

The other night, I came upon the business card of a guy who uses scrap pieces of wood to carve guitar picks, jewelry, & other crap. He's actually pretty good, if I do say so myself. What's not so good, however, is his attitude. Basically, just like a lot of artists, he takes himself & his work too seriously.

Example? This little ditty is from the back of the card.

"There is an incredible & intangible feeling that occurs when my hands coerce what I envision out of these raw materials. When the coupling of mind, medium, and machine is strong the result beckons to be seen and shared. To see this work emerge from small salvaged blocks, watching refinement arise from chaos, noise, and saw dust evokes the sensation that I want to convey to everyone who cherishes the incalculable and incomparable beauty of the natural world."

What an ass.