Saturday, May 1, 2010

Decisions, decisions...

My plan going into Graduate school was to just get a straight-up degree in Counseling Psychology. I was (& still am) sick of school & wanted out as fast as possible with the least amount of work. Then I became interested in working in Addictions counseling. So then I decided I was going to dual-track degrees in Addictions & my original Mental Health degree.

Then today I was asked by one of my professors to join an independent study class on Marriage & Family counseling. By taking this class along with another class I am required to take, I will have a degree in Marriage & Family Counseling. My professor told me I can't tell anyone else in the program about being asked because she's being so selective in her invitations. So I'm kind of proud of myself for that.

So there is a good possibility I will have 3 degrees by the time this whole ordeal is over.

Bad news is I don't know if I want to do the work for it over the summer on top of my other summer classes. But since it's independent study I can go at my own speed & even take an Incomplete to finish the rest of the class in-between my summer classes (which end July 1) & my fall classes (which begin August 30).

So I dunno...

1 comment:

Rebecca J-G said...

Go for it! You won't regret it. Take it from me-- you'll have more energy and enthusiasm for the work now, rather than later in life. Do it while you're fresh....I waited until I was 28 to do grad school, and much later than that to start my PhD. Working on my doctorate almost killed me! Three nights in a row without sleep, sleep one night and back at it...all while teaching undergrad classes and supervising student teachers.
Education is for the young, energetic and relatively unfettered folk. You have the rest of your life to decide if it was the right choice, or if you even want that degree. However, if you DON'T do it...it's not so easy to go back when you are older than dirt.
CONGRATULATIONS!! I'm a proud, proud friend.