Saturday, June 19, 2010

Friday

Friday I worked my normal shift of 4pm-midnight. Homeboy who was coming off of heroin was doing worse, not being able to keep anything down. At one point, all 3 of my coworkers for the shift were off-site, meaning that of course this guy was going to take a turn for the worse. I took his blood pressure & it was 131/95 & his pulse was 55, which was weird. I called one of my co-workers, who tried to get in touch with the detox nurse (who sucks) & couldn't, so she called Love Chunks. Love Chunks decided that he needed to go the hospital, which was a problem because I couldn't leave the site with the other clients there by themselves. Luckily 2 of my coworkers came back & he got the hospital.

I also did a drug test on a new client, did an intake, & really took charge of shit.

I've heard rumblings that there will be a lot of changes coming up, like Love Chunks being fired, other people being fired, shifts being rearranged, a new location opening up, my Saturday/Sunday night partner being asked to pick someone to be her partner for later (she picked me). It's all weird. I want to quit so bad but I just have to hold on & see what happens. Maybe I will be able to get better shifts that are more conducive to trying to make friends & having a social life.

2 comments:

Rebecca J-G said...

I'm beginning to think this job of yours is perfect for you. Seriously. I could never do what you do, and you seem to do it with such aplomb!
Talked to your mother today...she is hoping for the best with your interview, but I'm thinking you might just be in the right place for now. What's the scoop on the nursing career? Still thinking along those lines?

Andrew said...

I don't know. It's still an option...

In a way I hope this isn't the right thing for me, but I guess we'll know soonish.